Principal Hardware Engineer
Salary: £60K - £70K
The Internet of Things (IoT) is disrupting industries on a global scale. It enables a step-change in the way we organise, from work practices and leisure activities through to how industry is run. At the same time, we face many challenges relating to our environment, and it is accepted that we cannot continue using the planet’s resources in the way we have been doing since the previous industrial revolution. IoT technologies are widely regarded as key to delivering the improvements needed for environmental protection, for society and for industry. While progress of the IoT revolution has been impressive, to date it has been unable to address the oceans and the underground environment – this company has begun to change this already!
Based near Edinburgh, they are seeking experienced, innovative engineers to join their team to support the design, build and delivery of the latest generation of smart wireless devices and solutions. This is a unique opportunity to join the world leader in a fast-growing market.
- Provide technical leadership – lead the company’s electronics design
- Support design and verification of complex, multi-disciplinary systems
- Bring innovation and creativity to new designs and support products into production
- Your electronics skills will be used across the full hardware lifecycle: requirements analysis, design and unit test, integrating hardware with the target system, acceptance test and delivery to the customer.
- As principal hardware engineer, you will be responsible for generating and contributing to high quality and robust design, for fully documenting and recording your work, for keeping them under configuration management and providing plans and progress reports.
- You will work closely with Systems, Mechanical, Hardware and Software engineers to solve real integration problems on complex systems.
SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electronics or related field
- 10+ years of complex electronics design and leading projects for at least 5 years.
- Track record of moving into different technologies and coming up with innovative ideas.
- Strong Analogue Design skills.
- Experience of Digital Hardware Design.
- Experience of Low Power Hardware Design.
- Experience of Low Noise Hardware Design.
- A methodical approach to the full hardware design lifecycle, working to a structured hardware process, while having experience of de-bugging and testing new designs and supporting verification and integration.
- Ability to interface with suppliers of key components and assemblies.
- Ability to communicate effectively across different disciplines both verbally and in written form, as well as being able to work on own and as part of a team.
- Technical Skills likely to include elements from;
- Power FET drive and Switcher circuit design
- Proven experience of Schematic Capture using Altium Designer.
- ADC/DAC circuit design
- Schematic Capture & Layout
- Model-based design practices (SPICE/Matlab/Simulink)
- Solid experience in analogue design and EMC design principles
- Proven experience of Layout using Altium Designer.