Position: Lead Autonomous Systems Engineer
Salary: Up to £70,000 & attractive benefits
Our client is seeking an experienced Autonomous Systems Engineer to drive the development of a new Autonomous vehicle for a UK Defence customer.
As the Lead Systems Engineer you will be responsible for delivery of communication, command & control aspects of the new vehicle.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a hugely talented team, where you will play a key role in the evolution & realisation of the company vision, to deliver cost effective autonomy to defence clients in the UK and abroad.
- You will be responsible for driving the development of the command & control, navigation, communication & information system components of a new vehicle, built from the ground up with defence specific requirements incorporated
- You will be a key influence in building a strong development team ensuring the timely development of the new vehicle in line with project deadlines and company ambition
- Your responsibilities will include overseeing system architecture design, planning, development, testing & qualification activities
- Reporting progress to senior management & stakeholders throughout the life of the project
- This broad-based & challenging role, encompasses concept development through to implementation, from embedded system firmware through to human interface software
- The position will also present opportunities for some domestic & international travel, to support development, integration & system trial.
Required Experience & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant engineering field (i.e., Computer Science, Software Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Mechatronic Engineering) or equivalent experience, plus proven relevant industry or academic R&D experience.
- Technical expertise & subject matter expert in one or more of the following technical areas: control systems & autonomy, robotics middleware, embedded control systems, subsea navigation, artificial intelligence and machine learning, and subsea acoustic communication & localisation.
- Demonstrable experience in R&D and/or software development with some leadership experience.
- Experience related to software and systems architecture, design, and system integration.
- Display technical aptitude & sound analytical, decision making, problem solving & task prioritisation skills
- Proficient in the definition, analysis, and verification of system requirements
- Experience programming in C/C++/Python or another relevant language
- Hands on approach to design, development, and testing
- Highly proficient ability to apply new information quickly & to effectively handle complex assignments
- Self-motivated, innovative, willing to pursue new technical areas, capable of working independently
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Highly proficient ability in communicating issues, impacts, and corrective actions
- Knowledge/experience of robotics middleware frameworks such as MOOS or ROS.
- Knowledge/experience in the undersea domain
- Undersea system integration and testing experience
- Relevant discipline interest and working knowledge, for example:
- UUV or other autonomous vehicles
- Robotic system guidance and control
- Navigation and positioning
- Subsea communication
Desirable Qualifications & Experience
- Experience of working as part of a remote development team.
- Experience with operating and developing for MOOS, ROS or RTOS systems.
- Experience in building agent-based architectures/systems.
- Experience with wireless sensor networks, and wireless communication protocols.
- Familiarity with industrial control systems.
- Full stack embedded system or IoT experience/experimentation, from bare-metal firmware through to user interface.
- Familiarity with typical data storage approaches or solutions in distributed applications.
- Familiarity with requirement management tools such as Jama, IBM Doors etc.
- User Interface design and development
- Experience with MATLAB Simulink
Please contact Oli Solari, in the first instance, for a more detailed discussion and to discuss your application